Saturday, March 16, 2013

Tranquilo amigos:

¡Hay más tiempo que vida!

There is more time than life

 

It usually takes a while after I return to Costa Rica to slow down to the relaxed pace of this tranquil country. Its been four months and I guess I am as slow as I will get this year.

 

As an American from Boston I usually have two speeds.....on.....and......off. What is called slowing down to Tico Time is a Zen way of looking at life and the expression: "Hay más tiempo que vida" or "There is more time than life" explains this attitude. It says to me enjoy life and there will be plenty of time to get things accomplished.

 

We North Americans have a strong sense of urgency and purpose but often feel the resulting stress and worry. It seems the Tico's have adopted the Eastern Philosophy referenced on the following article:

 

The Zen master's to-do list: Do nothing and accomplish everything

 

Things seem to get done here but their natural rhythm and without a lot of worry and frustration. When one does seem worried or concerned another will say: "tranquilo"....."relax" or "Tenga paz en su corazón"....."have peace in your heart".

 

Costa Rica is not for everybody but I feel it is for me. I continue search for the "Pura Vida" or the "Pure Life" which is the national "Aloha or Shalom" greeting of the happiest country on this planet, Costa Rica.

 

Pura Vida, Don Federico

 

No comments:

Post a Comment